TFR 64 – Nuclear Disarmament and Nonproliferation
The Trilateral Commission examined the proliferation of nuclear weapons and their increasing threat in its 2006 Task Force Report Nuclear Proliferation: Risk and Responsibility and its 2008 report Engaging Iran and Building Peace in the Persian Gulf Region. The subject is as important and controversial today as when those reports were issued and merits another look.
In this report, experts in the fields of nuclear weapons and international security provide an update on what Henry Kissinger has called "the tension between preemptive and preventive uses of force" and the possibility of eventual disarmament and nonproliferation.
Harold Brown is a counselor and trustee at the Center for Strategic and International Studies. He served as U.S. secretary of defense under President Jimmy Carter.
Graham Allison is director of the Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs. He served as assistant secretary of defense under President Clinton.
Gilles Andréani is senior auditor of Cour des Comptes and adjunct professor of international relations at Paris II Pantheon-Assad University.
Kim Sung-han is the director of Ilmin International Relations Institute, Korea University.
Sergei Karaganov is a cofounder and chairman of the Presidium of the nongovernmental Council on Foreign and Defense Policy, Moscow.
Ariel E. Levite is a member of the International Institute for Strategic Studies Council.
Masashi Nishihara is president of the Research Institute for Peace and Security, Tokyo.
Rajiv Sikri retired in 2006 as secretary in India's Ministry of External Affairs, where he had overall responsibility for India's relations with East Asia, ASEAN, the Pacific region, the Arab world, Israel, Iran, and Central Asia.
Table of Contents
- Setting the Discussion on Nuclear Disarmament and Nonproliferation
- Thinking about Zero
- The Return of Elimination
- Nuclear Disarmament and Nonproliferation: Korean Perspective
- Nuclear Weapons in the Modern World
- Rethinking Nuclear Abolition
- Will We Ever Have a World Free of Nuclear Weapons? Disarmament versus Abolishment
- Nuclear Disarmament and Nonproliferation: Challenges Ahead
- Topics: Energy, Security, Multilateral Cooperation
- Region: North America,Europe,Middle East,Africa,Pacific Asia
- Publisher: The Trilateral Commission
- Publication Date: © 2010
- ISBN: 978-0-930503-94-9
- Pages: 120
- Price: $15.00 US plus shipping and handling
- Source: Brookings
- Click here to order from Brookings